Milbert's Tortoiseshell

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Apr 23 08:11:57 EDT 2003

Brian,

This is really no big deal...Milbert's are usually common to abundant in the
Canadian and Transition Zone areas of eastern North America, and thus should
occur in central and western Massachusetts....I found them abundant last
season and the season before during August in central/northern New
Hampshire. Where I grew up, in Elgin Co., Ontario (along the north shore of
Lake Erie), in lower Transition Zone (where Red Spotted Purples have approx.
30 to 50% of the White Admiral banding) they were always abundant, and may
well have been triple brooded there. It is well-known that in years of
abnormal abundance, they can occur quite farther southward of their normal
range...I even found a few during 3 years of residence at Dayton, Ohio.

While seeing a Milbert's is an exciting thing, it is by no means an
extraordinary event...

Alex

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.