Shoreline Butterfly Count

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Fri Jun 27 14:21:47 EDT 2003

Hi All -

    The weather is supposed to be sunny but not so hot for Saturday's Shoreline (Madison - Old Lyme) Summer Butterfly Count, so we should have perfect conditions to count butterflies.

    I would really like to have multiple teams in the field - even if you can only get out for an hour or two, let me know and I'll give you a few locations to check.   Hammonasset is always a challenge in the summer, but we have seen Pipevine Swallowtails and Hackberry Emperor there on counts in previous years.   Also, we are still waiting for that first confirmed Salt-marsh Skipper to be found in CT.....

    Call me at home tonight at 860-873-9078, or e-mail me if you can help out tomorrow.   For beginners or people that want to travel with a group, I will meet interested partcipants at 8:30am at the commuter parking lot off I-95 Exit # 64, which is Route 145, Horse Hill Road.   If you want to hook up with me later in the day, call 800-426-3089, then my ext. 2959, then when you hear my message, hit 3 to be forwarded to my cell phone.

    There has been a late Juvenal's Duskywing at the Horse Hill Powerlines, and there are still Dusted Skippers flying, even as the summer skippers are emerging (see Rich's comments on European Skippers).  We could have a REALLY good day.

Hope you can help out,

Clay Taylor