Madison, CT

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 15:55:14 EDT 2003

A gorgeous day at Hammonasset State Park in Madison, CT, along Long Island Sound.  Temperature in the 70s.  Didn't have any tags, but saw at least 100 Monarchs.  Most were in the butterfly garden, nectaring on the last of the white buddleia, along with a number of American Painted Ladies, a few Cabbage Whites, and one Red Admiral.  Others were in the nearby meadow/parking lot, nectaring on clover.  I almost stepped on a few of these--many looked very fresh.  Of those I looked at closely, only one had a tag (CAN 422), and I suspect it had been tagged on site...
There were also a couple of Black Swallowtail larvae on the last of the parsley.  I might have taken them, but I didn't want to take a chance disturbing their overwintering cycle!  Also a few sulphurs--didn't get a close look, thought some or all were Clouded and some were Orange.

Diane Adams