North Meets South in Litchfield

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 19:19:23 EDT 2004

In Litchfield County June 9, in the vicinity of Milton, I walked a dirt
road and observed a most unusual combination of butterflies for the same
locale - a Common Buckeye and a Milbert's Tortoiseshell. The Buckeye
flew past me in its characteristic flat wing style, leaving no doubt
about its identity, before continuing out of sight. The Milbert's, in
contrast, was the most obliging butterfly I've ever seen. After taking
as many pictures as I wanted, I couldn't even scare it out of harm's
way. Hopefully, no harm came to it. Picture at
http://www.hmana.org/steve/milberts.htm .

A couple of days earlier, I found a Milbert's on the banks of the
Delaware River at Port Jervis, so something might be going on. Buckeyes
hit the New Jersey and Long Island coasts early this year and now look
like they're moving inland.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY