West Rock St. Park

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 21:55:01 EDT 2004

Sunday, 6/20.  A total of 24 species of butterflies were present at  the
Park.  The list for the day is as follows:

Tiger Swallowtail (4)
Spicebush Swallowtail (9)
Cabbage White (22)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Edwards' Hairstreak (10) (My first of the year.  They  were occurring along
the top of the ridge in patches of Scrub Oak.  The  Edwards' Hairstreaks were
most numerous on the trail running along the west side  of the ridge, north of
the overlook parking lot.)
Banded Hairstreak (18) (The Banded Hairstreaks were most numerous along the
south end of the road leading to the overlook parking lot.)
Eastern Tailed Blue (1)
Summer Azure (5)
Eastern Comma (1)
American Lady (1)
Red-spotted Purple (1)
Appalachian Brown (1) (My first of the year.)
Little Wood Satyr (8)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
Hoary Edge (8) (My first of the year. They are most  numerous along the top
of the ridge near the overlook parking lot.)
Northern Cloudywing (3)
Least Skipper (2)
European Skipper (195)
Peck's Skipper (1) (very worn)
Tawny-edged Skipper (1) (very worn)
Northern Broken Dash (3) (My first of the year.)
Hobomok Skipper (2)
Zabulon Skipper (2)
Dun Skipper (1)

Lenny Brown