Fresh Meadows Sanctuary, Cheshire

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun May 23 16:10:24 EDT 2004

Sunday, 5/23- A visit to the above referenced site produced a total of 22
species of butterflies for the day.  The list is as follows:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (10)
Spicebush Swallowtail (5)
Cabbage White (17)
Clouded Sulphur (2)
Orange Sulphur (1)
American Copper (3)
Eastern Tailed Blue (11)
Pearl Crescent (40)
American Lady (8)
Red Admiral (1)
Little Wood Satyr (40)
Silver-spotted Skipper (2)
Juvenal's Duskywing (4)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (3)
Common Sootywing (2)
Indian Skipper (1) (My first of the year)
Peck's Skipper (21)
Tawny-edged Skipper (11)
Long Dash (2) (My first of the year)
Hobomok Skipper (6)
Zabulon Skipper (5) (My first of the year)
Dusted Skipper (4+)

The entrance to Fresh Meadows Sanctuary is located on the north side of Cook
Hill Rd., in Cheshire, approximately 1/2 mi. east of the intersection with
Route 10.  Please note the neighbors owning property adjacent to the sanctuary
get very unhappy if visitors stray off the Sanctuary property onto private land.
 Therefore, it is important that butterfliers stay inside the borders of the
sanctuary.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford