Fresh Meadows Sanctuary, Cheshire

Janine A Bujalski JanineB_CPA at compuserve.com
Thu May 27 22:14:29 EDT 2004

Many thanks to Lenny Brown for giving directions to Fresh Meadows
Sanctuary.  I discovered it's about 5 miles from my office and I took
breaks on the two sunny days this week to check it out.

I'll list some of the butterflies I saw, but I'm new at this and not
feeling real confident.   There were quite a few that flew by me especially
on Tuesday that I just didn't get a chance to identify.

Tues 5/25 noontime

cabbage white (3)
eastern tiger swallowtail (1)
little wood satyrs (~ 15)
a whole lot of skippers -- I'm not sure which ones
a couple of duskywings I think

Thursday 5/27 5pm

a variety of skippers -- I'm not sure which ones
I think I may have seen two common checkered skippers.  I could be wrong.

I took photos both days, some of the butterflies I wasn't sure of, so
sometime in the next week or so when I finish off the roll of film & get it
back I'll know better.

As I was leaving Tuesday I ran into someone who takes care of the grounds
there (he had been mowing the paths while I had been wandering).  I
commented that there was great butterfly watching to be done there.  He
said a few years ago they did a butterfly walk and had seen 20 different
species.

Janine Bujalski
Hamden