new online resources

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Mon Nov 22 13:23:07 EST 2004

By the way, while on the subject of "Eastern Tiger Swallowtails" that are
probably not Eastern Tiger Swallowtails (*Papilio glaucus glaucus*), does
anyone out there have an educated opinion of exactly WHAT that male "Eastern
Tiger Swallowtail" (again, *glaucus* - from Simcoe, Ontario) really is on
Plate 5 (I think it is) of the Butterflies of Canada book??? This specimen
is CERTAINLY not Papilio glaucus...Is it an Appy??? Is it perhaps yet
another undescribed eastern species of "Tiger"?? Note also the uncanny
similarity of that specimen to the male Western Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio
rutulus) illustrated on the same plate below it (again, going form
memory)...

Comments anyone? (Just don't try to tell me that this is an Eastern
Tiger...because it AIN'T...)

Interesting just how much there really is still to learn about our
butterflies, even the more "common" ones, isn't it? (...not to mention the
moths...)

Alex

PS Simcoe, Ontario is, by the way, toward the eastern end of Lake Erie...and
this is obviously not too far removed from western New England...
PPS Come to think of it, in the same book, there is an illustrated living
female specimen in the plates of living butterflies, feeding on milkweed;
the specimen is from Elgin Co., Ontario...on the north shore of Lake Erie,
where I lived as a youth...This female is NOT *glaucus* either...

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.