Monarchs

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Sat Oct 2 19:40:13 EDT 2004

10/2/04

Tagged 5 monarchs at Light House Point Park in New Haven and 7 Monarchs at Hammonassett State Park in Madison today.  Also saw 2 Fiery Skippers, 2 Am Ladies and a Cloudless Sulphur at Light House in the butterfly garden.

The Monarchs at Hammo were coming thru and we saw a lot more than we were able to net.  They seem to gravitate to the Black Pines at the southern edge of the butterfly garden and were roosting in the pines before taking off again.  Wind was from the E-SE.

Also at Hammo was a really large flock of Tree Swallows, est to be around 2000, swirling around in a large mass before spreading out in the park.  This was around 3:30 PM.

Gary & Carol Lemmon