monarchs and the like

jhimmel at comcast.net jhimmel at comcast.net
Sun Sep 26 17:10:29 EDT 2004

Tagged 14 Monarchs at Hammo today (everyone thought I was the guy in the
Courant article, despite the fact I'm obviously way younger and handsomer
than him).  This was the 2nd time I went there and saw two males grappling
on the ground (monarchs, that is - there was a young couple grappling in the
parking lot, but I think they were doing something different...).  They were
both so intent on their struggle, I picked them up and slapped a couple tags
on them without interrupting whatever it is they were doing.  (I did the
same with the monarchs, too)  They were still at it when I put them back
amongst the flowers.

Also -

1 very fresh-looking Mourning Cloak
4 Common Buckeyes
Many American Ladies
Many Orange Sulphurs
Many Clouded Sulphurs
1 possible Orange/Clouded hybrid
Lots of those white cabbagey ones
1 Ocola Skipper

And about 10 Snowberry Clearwings (bumblebee moths)

John

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at comcast.net

"Discovering Moths, Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Yard"
Go to: http://booksandnature.homestead.com/DiscoveringMothspage.html

Visit my other websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com