"Cherry Gall" Azure

hpazures at aol.com hpazures at aol.com
Tue Dec 13 20:28:17 EST 2005

All:

Actually, David Wright and I suggested that "Late Spring Azure" might be considered as a common name but since there are no rules governing common names, "Cherry Gall Azure" will do just fine.  It has been the most widely-used name for several years now (though without an official scientific name), and accurately describes its more typical host.

For Connecticut butterfliers who don't subscribe to the Taxonomic Report, and prefer a less-technical description, I may be willing to write something up for the next Connecticut Butterfly Association bulletin.

I like the play on NABA names.  Does anyone realize that there is a "Spring form Summer Spring Azure"?  If one emerged late it would be a "Late-spring Spring form Summer Spring Azure"!  Say it fast 10 times.

Harry Pavulaan