West Rock Ridge St. Park

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Tue Jul 5 16:11:10 EDT 2005

Monday, July 4th-  I decided to visit the Lake Wintergreen section of  the
park and also walk the top of the ridge south to the overlook.  The  list for
the day is as follows:

Cabbage White (11)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Coral Hairstreak (9) (Lake Wintergreen)
Edwards' Hairstreak (11) (My first of the year. Most individuals were on  the
trail starting at the overlook and running along the west side of the  ridge.
 They favor open areas with scrub oak.)
Banded Hairstreak (29) (Most individuals were on the first 1/2 mi. of  access
road going up to the overlook.)
Summer Azure (2)
Great Spangled Fritillary (3)
Mourning Cloak (1)
American Lady (1)
Appalachian Brown (1)
Little Wood Satyr (2)
Silver-spotted Skipper (2)
Hoary Edge (3) (Lake Wintergreen & top of ridge)
Southern Cloudywing (2) (Lake Wintergreen)
Northern Cloudywing (1) (Lake Wintergreen)
European Skipper (5)
Crossline Skipper (1)
Northern Broken Dash (1) (My first of the year- Lake  Wintergreen)
Little Glassywing (10)
Delaware Skipper (3) (My first of the year- Lake Wintergreen)
Dun Skipper (2)

The entrance to the Lake Wintergreen section of the park is on Main Street,
a short distance west of the intersection of Wintergreen Avenue & Main  Street
in Hamden.  Good areas at Lake Wintergreen for butterflies include  the
fields north of the parking area, the trail running north along the  canal and the
large stand of Common Milkweed just west of the bridge.

Since directions to reach the road leading to the overlook are on the web
site, I am not going to repeat them here.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford