sightings

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 20:40:02 EDT 2005

Okay, I just checked weather.com for East Windsor tomorrow--looks good!  73-80 degrees and sunny in the AM.  I'll be at Flaherty!!

Wednesday (7/20) Saw the first monarch of the year in my Chester yard, checking out the milkweed patch.  I fear the milkweed is past its prime, already making seed pods.
Later that day, visited the butterfly garden at Hammonasset.  Also one monarch.  Saw several cabbage whites around the grounds.

Thurs (7/21)  visited my mother in Westport.  As we arrived, observed a monarch ovipositing on the common milkweed in her garden!  Brought a few eggs home to rear.  Also saw MANY cabbage whites, a few azures, and a few hairstreaks (had the field guide with me this time--they really look like Hickory hairstreaks to me!)

Fri (7/22)  still in Westport.  Still many cabbage whites, a few azures, a few hairstreaks, also one tiger swallowtail and one spicebush swallowtail.  Interestingly, not the huge number of gypsy moths I've been seeing around Chester.
Back in Chester:  again (or still) one monarch around the milkweed patch, but no sign of eggs.  Also one pearl crescent.

Diane Adams