FW: East Haddam butterflies 6/11 & 12 - Baltimore!

ctaylor at att.net ctaylor at att.net
Mon Jun 13 12:51:42 EDT 2005

All -

A 6/11 field trip with the E. Haddam land trust started out birding off Daniels Rd. and ended up birding & butterflying at Echo Farm SP.   It was a great day (bold characters were FOTY for me - you got that now, Alex?.... ;-)......) -

Tiger Swallowtail
Black Swallowtail - F
Spicebush Swallowtail - F
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur (including white morph)
American Copper - 6
E. Tailed-blue -2
Pearl Crescent - 6
Milbert's Tortoiseshell - 1   Woohoo!  Gorgeous!!
American Lady - 1
Painted Lady - 1 super fresh!
Little Wood Satyr - dozens
Common Ringlet - 30+
Southern Cloudywing - 1
Northern Coludywing - 3
Wild Indigo Duskywing - 4
Least Skipper - 10+
European Skipper - 100+
Peck's Skipper - 10
Tawny-edged Skipper - 3
Hobomok Skipper - 8 including one "Pocahontas" form
Zabulon Skipper - 1

I returned on Sunday 6/12 with two cameras and fresh batteries and had a ball taking shots!   I was able to get a full-frame Euro Skipper and  Northern Cloudywing shots, and then a super-fresh Baltimore Checkerspot fluttered out of the grasses.   A LOT of used electrons later, I went home with a smile on my face.   Interestingly, there are still LOTS of Balto caterpillars evident in the grasses, so this brood may last a while.

In addition to most of the species on the above list, I saw -
Long Dash - 2
Red Admiral -
Monarch - 1

Clay Taylor