RI BUTTERFLY FLIGHT CHART from Harry Pavulaan may also be of value for CT/Ma butterfliers

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Mar 29 13:56:52 EST 2005

Hi Clay,

Yes - that is likely correct...still it's a little curious, perhaps...and are we sure that we are speaking here of "Pearl Crescents" that have in EACH case black antennae nudums in the males...?

It's no secret that there is a HUGE mess over these Crescents, and among some really prominent Lepidopterists...for example, my friend Mogens Nielsen of Michigan writes in his 1999 Michigan Guide, that "male Pearl Crescents have black antennal clubs... something like that, and then goes on to include photographs of two living "Pearl Crescent" males - complete with ORANGE CLUBS!

Let's not ignore the possibility that the "Diminutor Crescent" described by James Scott may also occur around here as well...a small, orange-nudumed Crescent with a light but rather "rusty" orange ground color (hard to describe it, but the orange ground color  is not as reddish as in cocyta), and noticeably unmarked DHW characterized by "over-sized" black submarginal spots, almost touching (or touching) the black border, could be diminutor...

Alex