Please Advise

dianetucker01 at comcast.net dianetucker01 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 17:45:28 EDT 2006

I am curious to know what recommendations butterfly experts have concerning the mowing of fields and grasslands and the effect on butterflies and other insects.  The wisdom on mowing to attract and maintain grassland birds is that mowing anytime after August 1 is OK.  Wouldn't mowing a grassy habitat with a high number of butterflies right now affect them very negatively?  Please share your wisdom with me.  I work as a naturalist but don't know a lot about this particular topic.  I am trying to find this out to head off a mass mowing at my place of employment, which has many, many varieties of butterflies and dragonflies.  Please help! Diane Tucker