CBA Field Trip Report

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Jul 2 21:37:19 EDT 2006

9 people attended the CBA field trip at West Rock Ridge St. Park on July  1.
A total of 19 species of butterflies were found.  The list for the  day is as
follows:

Lake Wintergreen section of the park in Hamden:

Spicebush Swallowtail (5)
Cabbage White (5)
Coral Hairstreak (23)
Banded Hairstreak (5)
Summer Azure (8)
Great Spangled Fritillary (7)
Question Mark (1)
Appalachian Brown (5)
Little Wood-Satyr (1)
Silver-spotted Skipper (4)
Hoary Edge (3) (My first of the year)
Southern Cloudywing (1)
Least Skipper (2)
Crossline Skipper (1) (My first of the year)
Delaware Skipper (1) (My first of the year)
Little Glassywing (6)

Road in the park going up to the southern overlook on top of the  ridge in
New Haven:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (4)
Cabbage White (4)
Edwards' Hairstreak (4) (My first of the year; very fresh and apparently
recently emerged)
Banded Hairstreak (1)
Hickory Hairstreak (1)
Silver-spotted Skipper (3)
Hoary Edge (6)
Little Glassywing (1)

3 of the 4 Edwards' Hairstreaks were found on the top of the ridge  near the
picnic area at the southern overlook.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford