Fwd: [leps-talk] Butterfly roadblock in Taiwan

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 16:07:49 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: nvazrick at yahoo.com
To: TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 7:42 AM
Subject: [leps-talk] Butterfly roadblock in Taiwan

Butterfly roadblock
Taiwan launched an unprecedented program to protect up to a million
butterflies from being killed per day as they migrated across a busy
highway. Drivers on an elevated section of the freeway were warned to
expect delays when clouds of up to 11,000 butterflies per minute caused
officials to block the roadway. This is the first year that such a
closure has been enforced. Local authorities also erected a net along
the highway designed to force the insects to fly above the traffic.
Ultraviolet lights were placed beneath the road to lure the
light-sensitive insects under the traffic lanes. The National Freeway
Bureau said protecting purple-spotted butterflies far outweighed any
inconvenience to motorists.

From:
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/176357

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a
new topic
Messages | Files | Photos | Members
TILS Motto: "We can not protect that which we do not know" © 1999

Subscribe:  TILS-leps-talk-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Post message: TILS-leps-talk at yahoogroups.com
For more information: http://www.tils-ttr.org

 [Image Removed]
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
format to Traditional

Visit Your Group
* Butterfly valve
* Butterfly release