Haddam Meadows 8/15/07

Janine Bujalski janine.bujalski at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 15 17:28:26 EDT 2007

Diane Adams and I spent around an hour and a half midday at Haddam
Meadows today.  It was mostly sunny, somewhat breezy and pleasantly warm.

We stayed on a mowed path and by the road and saw the following species

20+ monarchs
30+ silver spotted skippers
7 cabbage whites
2 Eastern Tiger Swallowtails
2 pearl crescents
4 clouded sulphurs
1 common ringlet
8 dun skippers
1 viceroy
3 peck skippers
1 female zabulon skipper
1 male zabulon skipper
1 least skipper
2 red admirals
1 little glassywing
1 eastern comma

We saw many monarch eggs as well as a few very early instar
caterpillars on the milkweed.

There were many, many bees on the Joe Pye weed and the iron weed --
so many that we were afraid to use a net for easier identification,
so binoculars (pentax papilio 6.5x21) came in very handy.

Janine