Pokeweed and Lepidoptera

Anthony Zemba AZemba at MaguireGroup.com
Mon Aug 27 08:51:48 EDT 2007

Cedar Waxwings too!

>>> <jhimmel at comcast.net> 8/26/2007 9:18 PM >>>
Bluebirds love them, but if you don't have bluebirds....

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at comcast.net
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Visit my websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com
  www.ctamphibians.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ctleps-l at lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-ctleps-l at lists.yale.edu]On Behalf Of Janine Bujalski
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:40 PM
To: CTlepslist
Subject: Pokeweed and Lepidoptera

The Long Story cut Short:
There is a miniforest of Pokeweed growing in the backyard (in
Hamden).  My first thought was I need to get rid of it.  Why I'm
posting here is the Wikipedia entry re: Pokeweed says "Pokeweeds are
used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species
including Giant Leopard Moth."  I don't know much about the Giant
Leopard Moth.  Is there a reason to keep some of these plants in the
yard?  Thanks in advance.

Janine

The Long Story:
A few years ago we cut down a number of trees in the yard and in
their place a mini-forest of pokeweed has sprouted up. We've been
preoccupied with other issues for a couple of years and during this
time of neglect, this miniforest has become well established (some of
it with woody stems and bush like) and is apparently invasive or at
best prolific.

I went to Science Plant Day at Lockwood Farm.  Got some unrelated
advice mailed to me about the Leaf Miners on the Columbine
plant.  (The columbine skipper falls into the category of diseases
caused by nematodes, if I read the info correctly.)  There was info
about nonchemical means to control the leafminers.  So that was good.

Talked to the Weed folks at Science Plant Day.  They suggested using
RoundUp. (I'd rather not.)  As we were talking, they spoke about the
edible and poisonous parts of Poke Weed and a variety of other uses
of the various parts of the plant.  As I was driving away I
remembered a song called Poke Salad Annie.  Interesting.

Before I left, I spoke with the NOFA folks and they suggested pulling
all the Pokeweed plants up by the roots.   I liked that idea but
there's way too much of it, way too established, given the time and
energy available.

Went to Wikipedia as a starting point from a different
direction.  Found what is mentioned in the short of the long of it above.

Spoke to my nephew who's about to go off to college (Middlebury) who
worked parttime at Agway while he was in high school.  He suggested
that they had a product that he thought was organic that we could
use, but he couldn't remember the name. After doing a web search. I
think he's referring to "BurnOut Weed Killer" -- basically acidic
lemon and vinegar.

My goals:  The pokeweed is taking over sections of the yard.  I'd
like to either totally remove it or get it under control using
relatively safe methods -- ie can I grow vegetables, safe to eat, in
that same soil afterwards?

My question for this forum:  As a butterfly (and secondarily moth)
person,  is there a reason to keep some of these plants in my yard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janine