Sachem

hpazures at aol.com hpazures at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 18:05:00 EDT 2007

Maryann:

Some people have commented to me that "global warming" is responsible for the large flight of Sachems in New England this year.? I think the explanation is simpler.? Over the years, I have observed them here in northern Virginia and they seem to be much more common in years of severe drought.? This year, with the worst drought in my memory, Sachems are swarming EVERYwhere.? Gardens are full of them and?butterfly bushes are being utilized to their full capacity.? Perhaps their predators or parasites are being impacted by drought, allowing huge population numbers.??The?Connecticut Sachems most certainly migrated up?from?the New York city area or south/west where they overwinter annually.
?
Harry Pavulaan