Chester sightings, caterpillar issues

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Thu Aug 21 16:08:46 EDT 2008

Today in the buddleia:

Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
American Lady
Silver Spotted Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Little Glassywing
clearwing moth

I'm doing quite well raising Monarch caterpillars, and I just released a Black Swallowtail that I'd been caring for.  However, I seem to be experiencing my second Spicebush casualty of the season.  The first I blamed on too much movement--when it was a few days old, I brought it to a workshop--as a result, it seemed to have become unable to shed.  This time, I found the egg, brought part of the branch in and stuck it on water.  It hatched and seemed to be moving around okay.  Last night it seemed to attach itself to a leaf and I figured it was getting ready to shed--this morning I found it lying on the counter :-(  A couple of years ago I raised two Spicebush caterpillars without any difficulty--any thoughts?

Diane