Guilford butterfly sightings

ctredbird2 at comcast.net ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 21 20:47:57 EDT 2008

Hello, I just joined this list and this is my first post.  Glad to be on it!

I stopped by Chaffinch Island Park today and had 8 species of butterflies including a very worn Tawny Emperor rather high up in a tall tree on the side of the picnic area closest to the parking lot.  Also a Common Sootywing and a couple of orange things that looked right for snout but I didn't see them well at all.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT
From: Epmanshell at aol.com

On Monday, 8/18, I visited a couple of the sites I will be covering on Saturday's field trip.

I started out a Chaffinch Island Park where I found a total of 8 species of butterflies including an American Snout and a very fresh Hackberry Emperor.

Both the Snout and the Emperor were found in their traditional site.

While the American Snout was very visible once it finally showed up in the Hackberry trees, the Hackberry Emperor was very difficult to find.  The Hackberry Emperor was found by another butterflier at 1:45 PM, just as I was arriving at the park.  It took me 1 1/2 hours to find it myself. (I can be persistent.)

On the way home, I stopped at Jared Elliot Preserve where I found a total of 11 species of butterflies including an American Snout that was nectaring on the New York Ironweed.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford