Spicebush Swallowtails, etc.

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 18:51:34 EDT 2008

I don't know whether a brood of them just emerged, but I saw several in the Killingworth-Chester area today!

Including one in my buddleia that I know was different from yesterday's, because yesterday's was missing a tail.
Also in the buddleia:
Tiger Swallowtail
Great Spangled Fritillary
Painted Lady
Silver Spotted Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Tawny Edged Skipper
Monarch
possibly Dun Skipper
possibly Fiery Skipper
(didn't get a close look at the latter two--I was supposed to be dead-heading at the time!)
clearwing moth

and sitting on the pipevine--Summer Azure

also found 5 early instar Monarch caterpillars and two Tussock caterpillars on the common milkweed, and one late instar Monarch caterpillar eating a tuberosa pod!

Diane
in Chester