sightings and invasive plant species

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Sat Jun 7 18:37:26 EDT 2008

Haven't had a moment to go out into the field, but I am seeing some leps on the road.  Today, traveling on 80 through Madison, saw two Tiger Swallowtails.  Possibly in Guilford, a sulphur or two and a couple of Cabbage Whites.  Can't wait til school is out and I can hit the field!

Something that I'm wondering about on the side of the road--is hogweed increasing in Connecticut, or is the Queen Anne's Lace getting REALLY big, or is it something else altogether?

Also, just got the following in an email from the Girl Scouts of Connecticut:
"Garlic Mustard, Trout Brook Valley, and Other Open Spaces"
Reports from Trout Brook Valley, a large preserve owned by the Aspetuck Land Trust and located on the Weston/Easton border, indicate that some individuals are pulling invasive garlic mustard and leaving the pulled plants on the trails.  Some thought the zealous workers were Girl Scouts.

While Girl Scouts and others are encouraged to pull up this invasive plant, once the plant forms its white flowers – even if pulled – it cannot be allowed to remain and form seeds that will spread to new areas as people walk over the seeds and get them caught in their hiking shoes.  Pulled flowering or seeded plants must be bagged, removed, and thrown in the trash.  This practice applies to garlic mustard on any piece of land, even one’s own yard.

Girl Scouts and other volunteers are encouraged to help control invasive plants in order to protect biodiversity and to help their environment.

I know I've been guilty of pulling and leaving--guess I'll stop doing that!
Diane Adams