Wapowog WMA + Machimoodus SP Redux

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Sun May 25 19:51:40 EDT 2008

Hi all -

My sister from Florida is in the state for the weekend, and after lunch she wanted to see the Wild Indigo Duskywings at Wapowog, so off we went.   There were at least five buzzing the first field on the left, along with 8 or 9 Eastern Tailed Blues, lots of Pearl Crescents and a few Clouded Sulphurs.   The tattered Juvenal's Duskywing from yesterday was also there, along with one and possibly two others (not all chewed up, so hard to differentiate between them).   I was hoping to see a Dusted Skipper, but to no avail.

We then stopped at Machimoodus SP, walking around the Upper Pond, then down by the Lower Pond and over by the buildings and back to the parking lot.   Along the way we had a great look at Big Daddy (the adult male Orchard Oriole) which was a lifer for Sue!   Neat!   As we walked towards the pond we had a Peck's Skipper and my first Common Ringlet of the year.   She had seen them a few years ago when we butterflied in New Hampshire, and her first reaction was "Oh yes, the Flying Potato Chip, right?"    Mr. Himmelman's contribution to butterflying fieldcraft is alive and well.

Our list at Machimoodus -

Spicebush Swallowtail -1 female
Cabbage White - 1
Clouded Sulphur - 8 (including one white-morph female)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (lots)
Pearl Crescent 20+ including two that were very light above and almost looked like Phaons, but of course were not
Little Wood-Satyr 15+
Common Ringlet 20+
Peck's Skipper - 3
Tawny-edged Skipper - 1
And a total shock to me - NORTHERN CLOUDYWING - 3 !!!!
The Cloudys were up at the little field by the construction trailer, at the end by the rocks.    I cannot ever remember seeing a Northern Cloudywing in May - how does this date stack up with the records?

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net