Lighthouse Point Park Butterflies

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Sep 7 19:47:35 EDT 2008

On Sunday, 9/7, Dori Sosensky, John Paton and I found the following
butterflies at Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven. Most individuals were found in  the
vicinity of the butterfly garden:

Black Swallowtail (3)
Cabbage White (9)
Clouded Sulphur (20)
Orange Sulphur (8)
Cloudless Sulphur (3)
American Lady (2)
Common Buckeye (2)
Viceroy (1)
Monarch (15)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
Common Sootywing (1)
Fiery Skipper (3) 2 males, 1 female
Sachem (2) 1 male, 1 female
Zabulon Skipper (2)

On the way home, I stopped at Vinny's Nursery in Wallingford where I  found
my first Leonard's Skipper of the year, a female, on the  Buddleia.

This is at least the third year I've had Leonard's Skipper at this  site.
Vinny's Nursery is on South Colony Rd., just north of Exit 13 on  I-91.  The
Buddleia is in the back of the nursery.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford