Old Lyme Butterflies

htg1523 at att.net htg1523 at att.net
Tue Aug 18 17:58:53 EDT 2009

8/18
I have been looking a little closer at the two Hackberry trees in my yard after seeing Lenny Brown's posting the other day.
Doing some garden watering this morning and  when I went  open the garden  gate there was a Tawny Emperor on top of it. I got the fever real quick and hung around home pretty much the rest of the day,,,looking for a possible Am  Snout like was here last year.
  No Snout,,list of species as seen;

Tawny Emperor (badly worn)
Monarch
Red-Spotted Purple
Spicebush SwTail
Peck's Skipper  (many)
Cabbage White
E Tiger SwTail
Silver Spotted Skipper
Am Lady
Dun Skipper
Zabulon Skipper (new yesterday)
Tawny Edge Skipper
Summer Azure
Black SwTail
Broad-Winged Skipper

All the butterflies were on either or both Verbena and Buddleia,,,, both flowers deep purple.

Around 4:30 I went into my blueberry patch and had a surprise there.  One bush back in the corner was 90% defoliated.  There were about 20 Drexel's Dantana caterpillars, (Dave Wagner's-Caterpillars of Eastern Forests and John Himmelman's-Discovering Moths) close to 2 inches long just chomping away.

Hank Golet
Old Lyme