Flaherty Field Trial Area, East Windsor

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 19:47:30 EDT 2009

On Friday, 7/10, I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and made
the trip to Flaherty Field Trial Area ("FFTA") in advance of the CBA field
trip  scheduled for Saturday, 7/18.  While butterfly numbers were low,
species  diversity was excellent.  The list for the day is as follows:

Cabbage White (35)
Clouded Sulphur (16)
Orange Sulphur (3)
American Copper (14)
Coral Hairstreak (2)
Eastern Tailed Blue (6)
Summer Azure (1)
Variegated Fritillary (1) (My first of the year)
Great Spangled Fritillary (35)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (7)
Pearl Crescent (80)
Baltimore Checkerspot (8)
Question Mark (3)
Eastern Comma (1)
Mourning Cloak (1)
American Lady (4)
Common Buckeye (1) (My first of the year)
Viceroy (3)
Appalachian Brown (1)
Little Wood Satyr (52)
Common Wood Nymph (40)
Monarch (12)
Silver-spotted Skipper (6)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (1)
Least Skipper (5)
European Skipper (1)
Peck's Skipper (23)
Crossline Skipper (4)
Long Dash (1) (A late sighting; a new species for my FFTA butterfly  list)
Northern Broken Dash (1)
Little Glassywing (4)
Delaware Skipper (3)
Mulberry Wing (1) (My first of the year, a new species for my FFTA
butterfly list)
Broad-winged Skipper (2)
Black Dash (2)
Dun Skipper (12)