Fw: Menunkatuck Audubon meeting - Crickets and Katydids

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Sun Sep 6 22:58:05 EDT 2009

Subject: Menunkatuck Audubon meeting - Crickets and Katydids

Hi all,

Menunkatuck Audubon opens our new season of programs on Wednesday, September 9th with John Himmelman’s, Singing Leaves: The Stories and Songs of the Crickets and Katydids, at 7:30pm at the Nathanael Greene Community Center in Guilford. (Exit 58 off I-95, south on Route 77/Church Street for 8/10 mile. Community Center is on right.)

Program description: It begins in April with the calling of the Spring Field Crickets. By late summer the night chorus of insects has reached its crescendo, dominating the aural tapestry of field, yard and forest. This 50-minute presentation introduces the audience to the creators of the insect songs we have all heard since childhood. It is illustrated with Himmelman's photos, and accompanied by his recordings made in the field and studio.

John Himmelman is the author and co-recording artist for "Guide to Night-singing Insects of the Northeast." The book is illustrated by local artist Michael DiGiorgio, who will likely be in the audience to keep the speaker's stories honest. The field guide will be available for purchase and signing.

We hope you can join us.

Cindi Kobak
Program chair
Menunkatuck Audubon