Killingly

Wagner, David david.wagner at uconn.edu
Wed Apr 21 09:03:19 EDT 2010

If anyone is looking for a new place to explore try the powerline right of way west and east of Route 395 in Killingly (MapQuest Louisa Viens Road, or even park on Interstate 395-there is a pull off on the north side of the northbound lane).

We have found five state-listed species of moths there.  I recently learned there is a sizeable patch of Arctostaphylos west of the Quinnebaug, and thus the possibility Hoary Elfins exits.  All three species of clearwing sphinx fly there in May, and sometimes they can be seen nectaring on the same mountain laurel.  Both buck moths, including the state's only known population of the endangered buck moth, occur along the powerline.

Of course if you find state-listed species I would love to hear about such.

Cheers

Dave Wagner