Butterfly sightings- nortwestern Litchfield County

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 17:41:08 EDT 2010

On Friday, July 2nd I took a ride up to northwestern Litchfield  County.

At my first stop, in Canaan, I found the following

Tiger Swallowtail (4)- These are the large Tiger Swallowtails that fly in
late June-early July that have field marks of both Eastern & Canadian  Tiger
Swallowtails.
Cabbage White (1)
Clouded Sulphur (6)
Great Spangled Fritillary (30)
Meadow Fritillary (1)
Pearl Crescent (1)
Red Admiral (3)
Northern Pearly Eye (12)
Common Wood Nymph (1)
Monarch (4)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
European Skipper (10)
Northern Broken Dash (2)
Delaware Skipper (1)
Dun Skipper (8)

I then visited Hollenbeck WMA and found

Black Swallowtail (10)
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail (1) I based this identification on the
combination of (a) the extremely small size of the individual, much smaller  the
Tiger Swallowtails discussed above; (b), the continuous yellow  marginal spot
band below; and (c) the broad, black line on the trailing margin  of the
hindwing that reached approximately halfway to the first vein.  This  individual
was nectaring on Common Milkweed a short distance from where the
Hollenbeck River crosses Route 7.
Clouded Sulphur (60)
Orange Sulphur (2)
Great Spangled Fritillary (20)