Pipevine part two

Hank Golet htg1523 at att.net
Tue Jul 13 11:36:06 EDT 2010

7/13
When I drive in my yard I end up parking near the Verbena and as I came in a short time ago I saw the male Pipevine on the flowers again.  I was thinking, as I was yesterday, it would be nice if a female showed up now.
  Well, guess what, she already has been here and left.  I have cucumbers climbing the same garden fence that the pipevine plant is on and they are starting to grow into each other.  I walked over for a closer look and saw Pipevine caterpillars all over the pipevine plant. There were about 20 that I saw without turning any leaves and they are already an inch long.
  Two days ago I was wondering if I should slow down the growth of the pipevine plant because it took over too much the fence a couple of years ago.  Now I am wondering ir there is enough there for the appetite that these critters have.
Hank Golet, Old Lyme