Chaffinch Park, Guilford

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Sun Jul 18 18:54:02 EDT 2010

At Chaffinch Park, Guilford today, a few fresh male Tawny Emperors were observed by myself and Matt Arey, along with a number of both worn and fresh Snouts...Also flying were Black, Spicebush and Tiger Swallowtails...and we believe one Swallowtail seen patrolling was a Giant - although we cannot confirm this for certain...as we did not get long enough looks at it...(at least I didn't, Matt seems more sure of it...)

The Tawny Emperors were in trees beyond where the telephone (or power?) pole used to be immediately beyond the parking lot near the entrance, and a few were seen in the larger trees just beyond the parking lot...One specimen was perched briefly on a tree trunk about 4 feet above the ground, and another (the same one?) was seen briefly perched on the ground near the trunk...The Hackberry Emperors were between broods and no adults were seen...

The area is very dry and needs some rain...We may return there in mid-August...

Alex
Peabody, MA