Talking Moths

Wyse, Chris chris.wyse at windriver.com
Fri Oct 1 07:24:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

Just a quick comment on this post....

I really like getting posts like this.  It's why I subscribe to the
list.  I read most posts that contain some interesting information, but
I tend to ignore the lists of butterflies that people see.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would make sense to either create two
lists (add a butterfly survey list), or at least require posts of
butterfly counts to have "SURVEY:" or something similar in the subject
line.  That would make it a lot easier to filter.

Along with filtering, it could also help to create a database.  I'm not
sure if any of these counts get recorded anywhere.  It might be useful
to have a database stating which species has been seen at which
location, time of year, and on what host plant or nectar source.  Is
this being done?  Is it available anywhere on the internet?  Would it
make sense to define a survey format that would provide all the
necessary information for database input?

Comments?

Chris Wyse
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Embedded Technologies