Guilford butterfly sightings

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 17:20:02 EDT 2011

On Saturday, 8/6, I visited sites in Guilford and found the following
butterflies:

Spencer Creek Preserve (Guilford Land Trust property)

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (2)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Pearl Crescent (6)
Red Admiral (1)
Monarch (2)
Peck's Skipper (6)
Tawny-edged Skipper (3)
Crossline Skipper (2)

Chaffinch Is. Park

Black Swallowtail (1)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (2)
American Snout (1) (my first of the year)
Hackberry Emperor (1) (my first of the year)
Monarch (1)

Jared Eliot Preserve (Guilford Land Trust property)

Black Swallowtail (1)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (6)
Cabbage White (4)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Pearl Crescent (10)
Question Mark (2)
Common Buckeye (6)
Monarch (4)
Least Skipper (2)
Tawny-edged Skipper (3)
Northern Broken Dash (1)

Some closing comments.

Spencer Creek Preserve would be a good site to search for Common Checkered
Skipper because this year, there sizable stands of mallows of mallows at
this site.

The Hackberry Emperor and American Snout were at their "traditional" site
at Chaffinch Island Park near the utility pole set back in the trees.

The American Snout was doing its best "dead leaf" impression, sitting
motionless on a bare twig on a hackberry tree.  It took me a while to  notice
it.

The Hackberry Emperor was its usual inactive self sitting in the Hackberry
tree sunning itself as best as it could on the relatively cloudy day.
Anyone interested in seeing Hackberry Emperor is advised search for it  12:00
noon or later and to wait patiently at this spot and until the  Hackberry
Emperor stirs and flies around.  It could easily take 15  min. or more of
waiting.

Anyone visiting Jared Eliot Preserve should bring lots of bug  repellent.
It appears that 2011 is going to be a big year for mosquitos at  this site.

Sincerely yours,

Lenny