Branford Giant Swallowtail

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Wed Aug 10 21:35:09 EDT 2011

In a previous email last week we stated we had a male Giant Swallowtail in our yard checking out the Wild Lime tree Zanthoxylum fagara we brought back from FL last April.  Upon further investigation we can not find any information on the sexual differences between the male and female that can be used in the field.  It was a mistake to call it a male.  We have come to this conclusion because we found 11 Giant Swallowtail cats on our wild lime tree which is a host plant for this species in the south.  This makes two Giants for Branford as Noble Proctor had one in his yard.

Carol & Gary