Hackberry Emperors, Snout in Guilford

Janet Mehmel janmehmel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:05:57 EDT 2011

8/17/11 -- I visited Jared Elliot Preserve today taking advantage of all the
sunshine.  I found 3 Hackberry Emperors and at least 3 Snout along the mowed
path which begins at the chain.  There are several hackberry trees mixed in
the hedgerow and the Emperors are actively defending their territories.  One
Emperor briefly lit on my arm.
The meadow at Jared Elliot is full of flowers and I saw many Monarchs,
sulphurs, swallowtails from the road using my binoculars.  There are no
paths in the meadow and long pants and sturdy shoes are a must for
Saturday's field trip with Lenny Brown.
At Chaffinch Island Park I saw a Snout on Saturday, 8/13 and today.

janet mehmel
guilford