Second hand Giant, interesting Red-banded Hairstreak tidbit

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 22:48:49 EDT 2011

Folks, my birding friend Mona Cavallero had a Giant Swallowtail in her yard in West Hartford today.  I'm mentioning that here since I have not seen many reports from Hartford County.  She sent me nice photos of it.

I read the Guilford walk trip report from yesterday with great interest.  The Mass Butterfly Club did a walk for emperors in the very southern part of the Pioneer Valley yesterday, which I attended.  They had a Red-banded Hairstreak at excellent Fannie Stebbins refuge in Longmeadow, literally a mile or two north of the CT border along the CT river.  Someone told me that was a second state record for it, the first having come very recently this year.  I found that interesting, given the number of reports from CT over the past couple of years.

Lenny's trip list from Guilford was outstanding and I would have loved to have made that trip but I didn't have time to make the trek.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT