CT River Valley updates

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 20:58:43 EDT 2011

Yesterday, took a quick ride through Haddam Meadows State Park. Only walked about 40 feet along the road & saw:
30+ Silver Spotted Skippers
2 Great Spangled Fritillaries
1 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
1 Cabbage White
1 Sulphur (too far away to ID)
And I THINK I saw my first Monarch of the season (before I actually stopped my bike)--didn't find any eggs or caterpillars, though.

At home--one of my Giant caterpillars has made its silk belt and is preparing to pupate. Others are on the move. One climbed to the top of the enclosure & later I noticed a green puddle underneath it. However, it's still moving around the tower, so I'm hopeful. The ones I left outdoors have left the rue plant for parts unknown.

Diane
in Chester