Monarch siting

Richard Mohr rumohr06 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 1 08:47:39 EDT 2011

Hi,Yesterday afternoon,my garden in Trumbull hosted its FIRST Monarch(that I was aware of).She was very busy looking for the best, tastiest small leaves on which to lay her eggs. She seemed to be searching for nectar plants also and tho I have flowers blooming in the garden,her favorite plants are only now budding up.  I gathered 6 eggs before the spiders  could discover them and put them in the clean tanks I have been preparing for just this occasion. Seems to me this is early for the beauties to arrive as I usually first notice them when the milkweed is blooming. I went to the liquor store to buy a bottle of wine, to celebrate the Monarch discovery,only to bump into the 4th grade teacher to whom I had given many chrysalids  in September. With only a few days left to the school year she declined my offer of the eggs but put her name on the list for chrysalids in the Fall. Let the season begin!!! Ruthie