backyard drama! Catbird VS SPST

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Fri Jun 3 23:16:25 EDT 2011

Well, I love butterflies and I love birding...but today I had an
interesting scenario play out...

After a morning of yard work I decided to relax in the lawn chair and take
in the activity in the backyard..Very soon along came a beautiful Spicebush
Swallowtail, stopping to nectar on a blooming Sage plant. I watched it
through my binoculars from about 30 feet. Beautiful! Fluttering so precisely in
the strong wind. Then, right before my eyes, a Catbird swooped in to pick it
off...like a scene from an  Animal Planet documentary!  But, Happily the
butterfly escaped and the catbird moved on to picking insects from the leaf
litter. I have had Catbirds in the past pick off newly released BST..don't they
know about mimickery?

Maryann

</HTML>