CBA Field Trip this Saturday

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Tue Jun 7 22:21:54 EDT 2011

Saturday June 11, 10 AM
Northwest Park, Windsor
Leader: Roy Zartarian 860-667-9571 rzartarian at snet.net

Northwest Park is a 473-acre multi-recreational facility that has been operated by the Town of Windsor since 1972. Much of what was once tobacco farmland has been reclaimed into biologically diverse forests and fields embedded with streams and many pristine views. Monarch Meadow is a 12,500 square foot butterfly garden with over 100 nectar and host plants. A fully accessible trail winds through this colorful meadow. Audubon Connecticut recognized the Park as an Important Bird Area in 2004. Ten different walking trails wind through the Park—maps are available at the Nature Center or on the Park’s website.

Directions: From I-91 take the exit for Rte 75 (exit 38 on I-91 north; exit 38A on I-91 south) toward Poquonock. Turn right at CT-75 N/Poquonock Ave. After 1.6 mi take a slight left at Prospect Hill Rd. Go 1.1 mile. At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto Lang Rd. Entrance is on the left.

PS, This is one of the few places in CT to find Grasshopper Sparrows.