West Virginia whites

Wagner, David david.wagner at uconn.edu
Sun May 15 23:58:05 EDT 2011

 Hello all,

I (and Peary Stafford) would like to start collecting data on the association of the West Virginia White and garlic mustard.  There is concern that garlic mustard is lethal to the early instars and that the plant serves as an egg sink.  Where the plant and butterfly co-occur the butterfly seems to decline and then disappear.  At this point, these accounts are anecdotal.  Moreover, we need to get a handle on how many colonies we have in the state (and their status).

I would like to gather data on where we have West Virginia Whites in Connecticut and whether garlic mustard is present in quantity.  If you see this butterfly please record the number seen, amount of time spent at the site, exact locality, and amount of garlic mustard at the site.  If you know of a WVW colony that has been lost over the past 20 years that would also be very useful.  Such data could be telling over the course of time.  Either email me, or better, make a post to this listserve as that will record your observations in perpetuity.

Thanks (and I hope that I am wrong because garlic mustard seems to be getting into all of our forests).

David L. Wagner, Professor
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269-3043