Memorial Day Weekend 2011 in the NW corner

Peary Stafford pstaff at pipeline.com
Mon May 30 22:00:35 EDT 2011

The weather and our schedules finally came together and we had some
fine butterfly watching over the weekend.  The single most
interesting sighting form our point of view was Silver-Bordered
Fritillary at Macricostas.  This is the second year in a row that we
have seen a single individual; something we'd never had before last
year.  Perhaps a new colony developing?
Also of note was an inordinate number of Question Marks.  We often
find them in sunlit glades in the woods; this weekend we saw about 15
individuals out in the meadows, many lighting on Nettles and
seemingly trying to oviposit.  With one exception they were all of
the less-mottled ventral variety and all of the black hindwing
form.  Beautiful to see them out in the open...
The rest of the list:

Black Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Cabbage White
Orange Sulphur
Clouded Sulphur
American Copper
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Silver-bordered Fritillary
Pearl Crescent
Baltimore Checkerspot (caterpillars on Turtlehead)
Question Mark
Eastern Comma
American Lady (ovipositing on Pussytoes)
Red Admiral
Common Buckeye (only after examining our photos did we realize we
were looking at two butterflies. One very worn and one very fresh;
makes one wonder, how does that work?)
Red-spotted Purple (an individual with very little white in the wings)
Viceroy
Little Wood-Satyr
Common Ringlet
Monarch