Any more Giants?

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Mon Sep 19 08:19:06 EDT 2011

One will note that there do not appear to be any Little Yellows or White M Hairstreaks around this early fall/late summer, nor are there Ocola Skippers and hardly any Sachems etc. Also, at Westerly RI there do not seem to be any Sleepy Oranges - although we do plant to check on that this coming weekend...not much in the way of Cloudless Sulphur either.

Irene may have had something to do with that...but I am just back from a few days in the Carolinas, and it was rather sparse down there also - except that the very powerful cold front that went through last Thursday night may have also had something to do with that, although again I did have good weather Thursday afternoon as  we drove from Charlotte NC down to Charleston SC...and a couple of stops - including one at a known spot for Georgia Satyr - revealed little on the wing - and NO Satyrs...The drought has been pretty bad in that region - and in the South generally, this season...

Hard to say what will come in 2012 in terms of the Southern specialties, but we should NOT expect anything significant...and who knows about the Giants - last year at this time, we did see a couple in S RI and CT.

It sure would be nice if it were different...

Alex