Middletown--Mattabesett Trail

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Sat Apr 21 22:24:17 EDT 2012

On Thursday 4/19, I went for a hike by Seven Falls, around the power lines. This may be a place for a future field trip... I was not there to look for butterflies, but I saw:

at least 5 Duskywing (assuming Juvenal's)
4 Spring Azures, and one small dark butterfly that may have been a female
3 Clouded Sulphurs
2 Cabbage Whites
at least 5 anglewings

Need to get back there with a net!

Question--are we seeing both Orange and Clouded Sulphurs now? I saw several sulphurs around the lawn at work earlier the same day (also in Middletown), and some were clearly very light yellow, while others had an orange tint. I was not able to see any up close, though.

Diane