[Ctleps-l] more Red-banded Hairstreaks and...

Andrew Brand biobrand at att.net
Tue Aug 14 20:22:29 EDT 2012

Today, Aug. 14, I found 1 Red-banded Hairstreak at Broken Arrow Nursery's fields off Evergreen Ave. in Hamden and 2 others at the Nursery off Broken Arrow Rd. One at the Nursery I watched for a while first nectaring on Clethra and then fly to the ground where it "walked" around and then flew a few and land a thin dead maple sapling whose bark was beginning to peel off. I watched as the butterfly moved along the stem bending its abdomen and finally laying an egg under one of the flaps of bark. Quite amazing!
Andy Brand