[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings- Hollenbeck Preserve, Canaan

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 21:22:06 EDT 2012

On Thursday, 7/5, I visited Hollenbeck Preserve in Canaan where I found a
total of 17 species of butterflies.  The list for the day is as  follows:

Cabbage White (1)
Clouded Sulphur (17)
Orange Sulphur (3)
Great Spangled Fritillary (4)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (1)
Meadow Fritillary (1)
Pearl Crescent (4)
Baltimore Checkerspot (30)
Question Mark (2)
American Lady (2)
Viceroy (1)
Eyed Brown (9) (My first of the year)
Common Wood Nymph (28)
Monarch (13)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
Delaware Skipper (4)
Black Dash (1) (My first of the year)

The Nature Conservancy staff has mowed a path deep into the property.   The
mowed path starts on Page Rd. next to the Hollenbeck Preserve  sign.

Thanks to the mowed path, what has always been a grueling trek is now a
down-right civilized walk.  Most butterflies were found on a large patch of
Dogbane (Apocynum)approximately 200 ft. beyond the end of the mowed  path.
Look for the Dogbane right next to the colony of  phragmites.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford