[Ctleps-l] Naugatuck Horace's Duskywing

pjdegennaro at aol.com pjdegennaro at aol.com
Wed Jul 18 20:11:23 EDT 2012

7/18 - I checked my yard for leps in 100+ degree heat a few minutes before the storms moved in and found a female HORACE'S DUSKYWING (lifer + new yard butterfly) taking nectar from buddleia. Big suprise given that the habitat here is more maple forest than oak barrens. But there are beech/oak barrens only about .10 miles away in the Naugatuck Industrial Park. Development started there this year, and I'd say 70% of the habitat has been destroyed, although it looks like the best areas in the back (including the oaks themselves) have been spared.

Link to some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7599621030/in/photostream/

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck